TIC Jezersko
+386 (0)51 219 282
Home About Jezersko Contact Other Services News and events Nature Culture Accommodation Activities Traditional cuisine Inns and Restaurants Traditional events Packages Multimedia



The old church of St. Oswald (Sv. Ožbolt)

On the spot where the old church of St. Oswald stands today there used to be a wooden chapel, made as a shelter for travellers and monks in 811. The present church was built at the end of the 12th and at the beginning of the 13th century. It is famous for the sculpture of Virgin Mary, donated by the Aquileian patriarch Francisco in 1386, and for frescos from the middle of the 14th century. The Last Judgement and the Adoration of the Magi are recognisable. The church was partly devastated at the time of Turkish invasions in Carinthia in years 1473, 1476 and 1483, it was afterwards renovated and equipped with some objects from the new Parish church of St. Oswald. Services in this church are held only few times a year.

Access: At the main crossroad in Zgornje Jezersko by the school turn left, continue past the settlement in the direction of Virnikov Grintovec. The asphalt road takes you all the way to the farm Karničar, next to which stands the church.

Copyright 2024, Production MMstudio